It can be used to treat gastric reflux (a condition in which the acid stomach contents flow upwards into the food pipe) and flatulence caused by gastric reflux.
Gaviscon infant sachets are an oral powder which is suitable for children ages 1 to 2. It contains two main ingredients, sodium alginate and magnesium alginate which form a gel in the stomach when they come in contact with the stomach acid. This causes stomach contents to thicken and prevents reflux.
- Breast-fed infants: Under 4.5kg (10lb) one dose. Over 4.5kg (10lb), two doses. Add 5ml of cooled, boiled water to the powder in a glass. Mix to a smooth paste and add another 10ml water to the mix. Give after each feed, using a spoon or feeding bottle.
- Bottle-fed infants: Under 4.5kg (10lb), one dose to be mixed into not less than 115ml of each feed in the bottle and shaken well. Over 4.5kg (10lb) two doses to be mixed into not less than 225ml of each feed in the bottle and shaken well.
- Young Children: Two doses, prepared as for breast-fed infants. To be taken after each meal.
- Gaviscon is not to be used by infants under 1 year of age, except under medical supervision.
- Do not use Gaviscon Infant with other food thickening agents or infant milk preparations containing a thickening agent.
- Do not use more than the stated amount.
- Do not give more than six times in 24 hours.
- Products containing Mannitol may have a laxative effect or cause diarrhoea.
- Each sachet is security sealed. Do not use if damaged.
- If your infant has been put on a low sodium (salt) diet ask your doctor or other health professional before taking the product. Do not store above 30C.
- You should carefully read all product packaging and labels prior to use
Each dose of Gaviscon Infant Sachets contains:
Sodium Alginate 225mg
Magnesium Alginate 87.5mg
Also contains Mannitol and is sugar free
Each sachet contains approximately 21mg of Sodium